We are Anne and Tony Sutherland-Smith from Australia, travel bloggers at Pretraveller. We recently went on a family trip to Japan with our three young children and had a lovely time. But even with being experienced travellers and all of the research we had done we were still caught out by many aspects of travelling in Japan.
We personally had issues with:
- Learning how to use the public transport system (lesson learned – choose an easy transport option when you first arrive!)
- Making the grave mistake of not pre-purchasing our tickets and Express Passes for Universal Studios Japan – and as a result while we still had fun we definitely regretted not realising that Express Passes existed – by the time we learned about them they were already sold out 🙁
We also managed to do some things right!
- Our decision to get off the beaten tourist track and visit the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route, Nagano and the snow monkeys near Shibu Onsen was a fantastic decision – we managed to get away from the crowds.
- We really loved seeing the sumo wrestling and baseball while in Tokyo
- And many more great experiences, big and small!
We subsequently decided to start writing articles to help other people plan their trips to Japan as well as setting up the Japan Travel Planning Facebook Group which has grown immensely since it was initiated -and is a great way to help people plan their trips.
We also decided to set up a new dedicated website (this one!) – Japan Travel Planning – to help people to travel to Japan.
Japan Travel Planning Email List
We have also set up an email list to help people travel to Japan – subscribe below to receive our fortnightly newsletter which includes travel planning information for Japan, latest deals as well as a selection of the most popular articles from the Facebook Group. You can also receive additional emails to help you plan your trip to Japan, as well as our pre-departure checklist to ensure you are ready to depart!
Join the Japan Travel Planning Facebook Group
You are also welcome to join our Japan Travel Planning Facebook Group – it is a great resource to enable you to ask questions about your upcoming trip to Japan!
Join Japan Travel Planning on Pinterest
If you use Pinterest you should also follow Japan Travel Planning on Pinterest.